What are the types of LED screens in monitors and TVs
In the monitor is installed screens manufactured by different technologies, the following types of matrices TN, IPS, VA with various modifications. In the figure below you can see how the picture on the different screens when viewing at an angle.
TN (TN+film) panel
TN+film – first TFT panel, if available now as inexpensive screens advantage of low cost production. Lack of small viewing angles, reducing the brightness and contrast when viewed from the side. First there were TN screens then was added a special layer to improve the color and kind of filter screens became known as TN + film
list of panels manufactured by IPS technology. Panel name by manufacturer
- IPS Generations Summary (Hitachi)
- PLS – Plane to Line Switching (Samsung)
- AD-PLS – Advanced PLS (Samsung)
- S-IPS – Super IPS (NEC, LG.Display)
- E-IPS, AS-IPS – Enhanced and Advanced Super IPS (Hitachi)
- H-IPS – Horizontal IPS (LG.Display)
- e-IPS (LG.Display)
- UH-IPS и H2-IPS (LG.Display)
- S-IPS II (LG.Display)
- p-IPS – Performance IPS (NEC)
- AH-IPS – Advanced High Performance IPS (LG.Display)
- AHVA – Advanced Hyper-Viewing Angle (AU Optronics)
Panel Type IPS (IPS, PLS, AD-PLS, S-IPS, S-IPS II, E-IPS, AS-IPS, H-IPS, e-IPS, UH-IPS, H2-IPS, p-IPS, AH-IPS, AHVA
- IPS – Production technology TFT screens, was invented in 1996 (Hitachi) as an alternative to TN displays, has wide viewing angles, deeper black color, good color, the lack of a large response time, which makes them not suitable for games.
- PLS – (Plane-к-Line Switching) Samsung
- response time of 4 ms (GTG). GTG is the time to change the brightness of the pixel with the minimum brightness to the maximum.
- Wide viewing angles without loss of picture brightness.
- The increased brightness of the display
- AD-PLS – The same panel PLS but says samsung slightly modified production technology, as many experts say, it’s just advertising.
- S-IPS – IPS technology improved in the direction of the development is carried out (NEC) A-SFT, A-AFT, SA-SFT, SA-AFT, and LG.Display (S-IPS, e-IPS, H-IPS, p-IPS) . Due to improvements in technology have achieved reduction of response time to 5 seconds a mile, making these displays are suitable for games.
- S-IPS II -the next generation of S – IPS panels, reducing energy intensity.
- E-IPS, AS-IPS – Enhanced and Advanced Super IPS, development (Hitachi) is one of the improvements IPS technology to increase brightness and decrease response time
- H-IPS – Horizontal IPS, (LG.Display) This type of matrix pixels arranged horizontally. improved color reproduction and contrast. More than half of today’s IPS panel has a horizontal arrangement of pixels.
- e-IPS – (LG.Display) The following improvement of production matrix cheaper to produce but have the disadvantage slightly smaller viewing angles.
- UH-IPS и H2-IPS – the second generation of H-IPS technology enhanced matrix to increase the brightness of the panel.
- p-IPS – Performance IPS is the same as the H-IPS matrix marketing name from NEC.
- AH-IPS – modification for high-resolution displays (UHD), analogue of H-IPS.
- AHVA – Advanced Hyper-Viewing Angle such designation received displays companies (AU Optronics), the company formed from the merger of Acer Display Technology and units for the production of screens Corporation BenQ.
PVA – Patterned Vertical Alignment panel
- S-PVA – Super PVA
- A-PVA – Advanced PVA
PVA matrix Samsung have been developed a good contrast, but have several disadvantages, the major loss of contrast when viewed at an angle. What would be periodically updated line of production, after a certain period of time there is a new model of the screen, so there are the following types of screens VA.
Panel PVA Type S-PVA, cPVA, A-PVA, SVA
- S-PVA – Super PVA Improved matrix by changing the production technology.
- cPVA – simplified production technology on the quality of the screen is worse than S – PVA
- A-PVA – Advanced PVA small absolutely no significant changes.
- SVA– another modification.
VA – Vertical Alignment panel
- MVA – Multi-Domain Vertical Alignment (Fujitsu)
- P-MVA – Premium MVA
- S-MVA – Super MVA
- AMVA – Advanced MVA
Technology of production of TFT displays (VA) was developed in 1996 by Fujitsu as an alternative TN matrices screens produced by this technology have disadvantages as a large response time and small angles of view but had a much better color characteristics.
Panel Type VA (MVA, P-MVA, AMVA)
- MVA – the next version of the technology in 1998 difference was that the pixel consists of several parts, it is possible to achieve a high-quality image.
- P-MVA, S-MVA – improved color reproduction and contrast.
- AMVA –production of the next generation, reducing response time, improvement in transmission color.