iPhone model number meaning
I’m going to talk a little bit about the model number of the iPhone. If you look at the packaging of the iPhone and the information on the phone itself, you will see conflicting information. Look at the picture of the box and the picture of the information on the screen of the phone. You see the model A2633 on the box, but if you look at the screen shot of the phone, you see the model number MLQ93HU/A. You should know that the iPhone model is A2633. There are several iPhone models, usually there are some technical features between them. And MLQ93HU/A is the part number of the phone. But many people don’t know what the part number is, so it was decided not to use the part number, but to write it in the operating system as the model number name, so as not to create confusion in the minds of customers.
Where to find the model number of an iPhone
You can find the information on the phone in two places on the box in which the phone was packaged. The second way to find the model name is on the phone itself. Go to Settings > General > About
Apple iPhone part number vs iPhone model number
The model number and part number are, as I said before, the same thing. I will continue to use the model number. The model number is a unique product number from the Apple product catalog. Thus, the model number determines some of the characteristics of the phone. For example.
- The device is a new or refurbished iPhone.
- Memory capacity
- The country for which the phone is made.
Now for more details: if the phone is restored, the first letter in the model number changes. The memory capacity can also be different, and this is reflected in the model number. Now a little bit about what country the phone is made for, for example, there is a model called global. But it has to have the right languages pre-installed, and Apple also has to understand that, for example, one batch of phones will go to Germany and another to the UK. Here it’s more about service and helping service centers understand that they may be approached with a phone designed for another country.
iPhone model number decode, explained
- As an example, consider the model number MLQ93HU/A.
- M – All products from the consumer electronics section. Apple assigns the first letter M to all its new products. If you have a different letter, it means that the phone has been repaired or refurbished, which is pretty interesting, especially if you’re buying the phone at a discount. So, more details.
- M – the new phone has been tested at the factory and is approved for sale.
- N – The phone has been refurbished, usually a phone that has been factory refurbished. It has not passed the final performance test before being packed in the box.
- F – The phone has been repaired in a service center, requiring the main board to be replaced or the operating system to be reinstalled.
- L – is the FCC identifier. An FCC ID is a unique identifier assigned to a device that is registered with a registration authority such as the FCC in the United States. The phone model is checked for safety and is included in the registry. The letter identifies which registration authority the phone model has been registered with.
- Q93 – code that characterizes the device according to technical parameters. For example, color, internal memory capacity, supported network standards. This information is required by the service centers.
- HU – The country code for which the phone is made. There are many codes, the code may change after some time.
Country Codes in Apple Part Number
|AB||Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates|
|B||Ireland, UK, also used for some replacement units|
|BR||Brazil (Assembled in Brazil)|
|BZ||Brazil (Assembled in China)|
|DN||Austria, Germany, Netherlands|
|FD||Austria, Liechtenstein, Switzerland|
|LA||Colombia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Peru|
|LL||USA, Canada, also used for some replacement units|
|LZ||Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay|
|MO||Macau, Hong Kong(?)|
|NF||Belgium, France, Luxembourg|
|X||Australia, New Zealand|
|ZP||Hong Kong, Macau|
/ A – is a product manufactured by Apple.
Now you know what the phone part number and iPhone model number are. Of course, I realize that in most cases this information is not really needed. But nevertheless, you may find this information useful.
i have a BT ipod. what country?