I want to tell you about the new 2023 QN90C and QN85C TVs. When you look at the information about these televisions on the Samsung website, you will notice the price. The 90C TV model is 30% more expensive than the 85C model. But you won’t find any apparent differences on the website, but they are if the TV costs more.
First, let’s compare TV prices to get an idea of the price difference between TVs with different screen sizes.
Comparison table of the cost of Samsung 2023 TVs
As you can see from the table, the 55-inch model of the 95C TV is $500 more expensive. And if you look at the 85-inch TVs, the price difference is $1,000.
If there is such a big price difference, there must be significant differences between the TV models.
On the one hand, we have the QN85C line of televisions, an eight series of televisions that includes four models of televisions.
And the more advanced QN90C line of TVs is the nine series of TVs; this line has more TV models, and there are six with screen sizes from 43 to 85 inches.
It’s best to get information from multiple sources. I contacted Samsung support, and I got this in response to my question about the differences between the 8 and 9 series TV models.
Differences between QN90C and QN85C TV models
Here’s what Samsung says about the differences between the TVs
- The QN85C comes with Neo Quantum HDR, and the QN90C comes with Neo Quantum HDR+.
- On the QN90C, you get stunning contrast, and bright colors, just as the director intended.
- Image quality on the QN90C compared to the QN85C is like in real life.
- The QN90C also has an improved sound system compared to the QN85C.
- With the QN90C, you will feel in the middle of the action as the AI Sound system tracks what is happening on the screen, and the sound is projected following the movement with high precision.
Let’s now look at these differences in more detail.
- The QN85C comes with Neo Quantum HDR, while the QN90C comes with Neo Quantum HDR+: this statement is acceptable, but if you look carefully at the Samsung website notes, the 43 and 50-inch QN90C series TVs have Neo Quantum HDR, starting with 55 inches it supports Neo Quantum HDR+. Both series support Filmmaker Mode. These differences cannot affect the price of the TV.
- The picture quality is better on the QN90C. Yes, it is, but that can only be if the displays differ.
- The sound system of the QN90C is better; yes, it is true. The QN90C has a 4.2.2 sound system (except for the 43″, this TV has a 2.0 format). But it also can’t make that much of a difference in the TV cost.
- The AI sound system is in both TV models, which also can’t affect the cost of the TV.
I think the QN90C series TVs have displays made with more expensive materials. Both TV models support 10-bit color depth and a billion shades. But using cleaner materials (quantum dots) creates a cleaner, brighter picture. Of course, these are not Samsung-made displays. Samsung sold its QLED display factory to China’s TCL in 2022.
I also noticed another peculiarity of TV models. The QN90C series consumes slightly more power than the QN85C of the same diagonal.
Detailed Technical Specifications QN90C vs QN85C
|QN85C (2023)||QN90C (2023)|
|Screen Size||55, 65, 75, 85||43, 50, 55, 65, 75,85|
|Style||Flat Panel||Flat Panel|
|Resolution||3,840 x 2,160||3,840 x 2,160|
|screen technology||Mini LED||Mini LED|
|Dimming Technology||Supreme UHD Dimming||Ultimate UHD Dimming|
|Stand Type (Color)||Hexagon Plate||Sharp Neck Hexagon|
|Bezel Width||4 Bezel-less||4 Bezel-less|
|Color||100% Colour Volume with Quantum Dot||100% Color Volume with Quantum Dot|
|Contrast||Quantum Matrix Technology||Quantum Matrix Technology|
|HDR (High-Dynamic Range)||Neo Quantum HDR||Neo Quantum HDR+|
|Picture Engine||Neural Quantum Processor 4K||Neural Quantum Processor 4K|
|HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma)||Yes||Yes|
|Motion Technology||Motion Xcelerator Turbo+||Motion Xcelerator Turbo+|
|Dolby||MS12 5.1ch||MS12 5.1ch|
|Speaker Type||2.2.2 CH||4.2.2 CH|
|Object Tracking Sound||Yes||Yes OTS+|
|Q-Symphony||Yes only soundbar||Yes only soundbar|
|OS||Tizen 7.0||Tizen 7.0|
|Wi-Fi||Yes WiFi5||Yes WiFi5|
|Bluetooth||Yes (ver.5.2)||Yes (ver.5.2)|
|360 Video Player||No||No|
|360 Camera Support||No||No|
|Wireless TV On||Yes||Yes|
|Wired TV On||No||No|
|Auto Game Mode||Yes||Yes|
|Mobile to TV - Mirroring, DLNA||Yes||Yes|
|SmartThings App Support||Yes||Yes|
|Far-Field Voice Interaction||Yes||Yes|
|FreeSync||FreeSync Premium Pro||FreeSync Premium Pro|
|BT HID Support||Yes||Yes|
|Auto Game Mode (ALLM)||Yes||Yes|
|Multi View||Yes 2 videos||Yes 2 videos|
|Game Motion Plus||Yes||Yes|
|Dynamic Black EQ||Yes||Yes|
|Super Ultra Wide Game View||Yes||Yes|
|Auto Channel Search||Yes||Yes|
|InstaPort S (HDMI Quick Switch)||No||No|
|Auto Power Off||Yes||Yes|
|Auto Motion Plus||Yes||Yes|
|TV to Mobile - Mirroring||Yes||Yes|
|USB HID Support||Yes||Yes|
|TV initiate mirroring||Yes||Yes|
|Video Communication||Google Meet||Google Meet|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|HDMI||4 ver 2.1||4 ver 2.1|
|RF In (Terrestrial/Cable||Yes||Yes|
|RF In (Satellite Input)||Yes Europe, No US||Yes Europe, No US|
|Digital Audio Out (Optical)||Yes||Yes|
|Audio Return Channel Support||Yes||Yes|
|Digital Broadcasting||ATSC 3.0 (Canada) ATSC/ClearQAM - US: DVB- Europe||ATSC 3.0 (Canada) ATSC/ClearQAM - US: DVB- Europe|
|Remote control||TM2360E solar||TM2360E solar|
Which TV is better to buy, QN90C or QN85C?
As you have already realized, the only significant difference between the TVs is the displays. The QN90C has a better display. Hence the picture on this TV will be of slightly better quality. If you’re buying a TV for watching the video and aren’t particularly picky about video quality, buy the QN85C to save some money.
But, of course, the best option is to go to the store, compare the picture on the two TVs, and buy the one you like.