What does iPhone serial number meaning
You should know that starting in 2021, Apple started assigning random serial numbers to its devices, including the iPhone. This affected the iPhone 13, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone SE, iPhone 13 mini and the next generation iPhone 14. So it’s now impossible to know anything from the serial number. I checked the serial numbers on checkcoverage.apple.com and I can tell you that the numbers are completely random, there is no longer any pattern to the serial numbers assigned. I’ll go into more detail on phone serial numbers before 2022 and iPhone serial numbers after 2022 in this article.
New Serial Number iPhone 2021-2022 iPhone 13
As I said before, the iPhone 13 received random serial numbers. The serial number itself has been reduced from 12 characters to 10. If you want to know if there is any information in the serial number, count how many characters. If 12, you can find out the date of manufacture and the model of the phone, if 10 characters, it is a new serial number, it has no information in it. You can only check if the serial number exists and if it is in the Apple database. You can do this on Apple’s website at https://checkcoverage.apple.com.
How an iPhone serial number is assigned in 2022
Although serial numbers are random, they are in Apple’s database. Serial numbers are likely to be assigned as follows. Several million serial numbers are generated. These serial numbers are stored in a common Apple database. When the iPhone is assembled at the factory and the operating system is installed. A random serial number from the database of generated serial numbers is written to the operating system. Once the number is written into the phone’s operating system, a sticker is printed, the phone is packaged in a box, a sticker is placed on the box, the box is sealed, and the phone is shipped to the retailer.
Old Serial Number iPhone 2010-2021
The serial number for Apple iPhone smartphones is assigned according to a special algorithm, only phones up to iPhone13. Such a serial number contains information about the manufacturer, the date of manufacture of the phone with details up to a week, the phone model number and some technical specifications. From 2010 until 2022, the iPhone serial number has 12 digits and contains some information, the most valuable of which is the information about the iPhone’s build date.
Serial number iPhone meaning
Apple serial number meaning, of course you can apply the principle of decoding serial numbers I described for other Apple products as well.
IPhone 11 Pro Max 512Gb Model A2161 S / N G6TZL899N70M serial number decode example
iPhone serial number starts with C, with D, with G
- G6T – is the identifier of the factory where the iPhone is assembled. The main assembly site of the iPhone is China, but the phones are assembled in many factories. The average user does not particularly need this information, it is more in demand by Apple to determine where the phone is assembled. More details:
- G6 – factory in China, located in Shenzhen, the plant is owned by OEM assembler Foxconn.
- T – identifier of the assembly line number on which the phone is assembled; the information is necessary for Apple to control the quality of manufactured devices.
How do I know when my iPhone is assembled
- ZL – G6TZL899N70M the date of manufacture of the phone. Apple specified the date of manufacture of the phone in the serial number. The two letters Z and L (which are the fourth and fifth characters of the serial number) indicate the date the phone was manufactured. Apple indicates the year in two different letters: the first half of the year and the second half of the year. The fifth character indicates the week of the year. To make it easier to understand the year letters and weeks, I made a table with all the information, just find the letters you need and determine the production date of your iPhone.
- ZL – means the phone was manufactured in 2019, week 46. November 2019 In more detail, the phone was assembled between November 11, 2019 and November 17, 2019.
|month||week code||week of the year||2010 2020||2011 2021||2012 2022||2013 2023||2014||2015||2016||2017||2018||2019|
How to find out the phone model by serial number
- 899N70 – a unique code in which the technical parameters of the phone are encrypted. Moreover, N70 is the phone model code in this case, it is the Pro Max model
- N70 – iPhone 11 Pro Max
- N72 – iPhone 11
- N73 – iPhone 11
- N6X – iPhone 11 Pro
- KPF – iPhone XS
- KPH – iPhone XS MAX
- KXK – iPhone XR
- JCL – iPhone X
- JC6 – iPhone 8
- JCL – iPhone 8 plus
- M – is the phone’s color identifier. But Apple doesn’t have a single standard for color coding a phone. The color palette is standardized for a particular series of phones. For example, one set of letters is used for iPhone 11, for other phone models the same letters mean completely different colors.
IPhone 11 Pro Max Phone Color Code Example
- K, P, F, V – Gold
- W, G, L, Q – Midnight Green
- D, J, N, T, Z – Silver
- M, H, X – Space Gray