New designation of HDMI ports in Samsung TVs
Since recently, on TVs, for example, Samsung, a port designation with a game console icon and an HDMI eARC port has appeared. What do these signs mean for the TV user.
HDMI IN 4 game port what is it
The new HDMI 2.1 standard has been adopted, this standard approved new port capabilities. Such a port is more perfect. But why not just specify HDMI 2.1 support. The fact is that not all possibilities are realized in TVs, according to the standard and to call such an HDMI 2.1 port is not correct. For example, if you follow the requirements of the HDMI 2.1 standard, there should be support for the following features
- ALLM (Auto Low-Latency Mode) – automatically detects the connection of the game console to the TV and disables all additional settings that slow down the output of the image on the screen.
- VRR Variable Refresh Rate – synchronization of the video card and TV. Floating frequency of video reception, the TV can receive video at a frequency of 40 to 120 frames per second. The TV and game console are synchronized, the picture is displayed smoothly without jerking.
- QMS Quick Media Switching– smoothly change the frequency of the video.
- QFT Quick Frame Transport – the ability to ignore secondary data in the video stream. To increase the speed of video display.
- And of course, support for displaying video with the appropriate frequency.
Not all features are supported on TVs. Most likely there is support, VRR and ALLM. Something is not supported, the game console icon helps the user understand that this port is adapted to work with game consoles.
HDMI IN 4 (eARC) what is it
Audio return channel transmits sound from the TV to the speakers. eARC means that the televisor supports sound transmission in 5.1, 7.1, Dolby Atmos, DTS formats. eARC is a more modern port supporting the latest audio formats.